Film Production - The Evaluation

Audience Expectation: From my poster alone, my audience will be able to clearly tell that my film is of the romantic dance genre. This is made apparent by the use of pink hues - commonly associated with love - and the fact that the silhouettes portray the male and female protagonists together with little more going on in the image. The fact that it's just the two of them on the poster suggests that they have a close relationship in the film. Similarly, the film's title highlights the genre. While the adjective "dirty" has sexual connotations, "dancing" directly links to the overruling theme of the storyline. Based on the actors used, the audience should expect to see some quality dancing in the film. I have deliberately chosen stars from the popular American reality show Dancing With The Stars to portray the characters of Baby, Johnny and Penny because these are the characters with the important dancing scenes. Because of this casting choice, not only will fans of the show be more inclined to come and see my film, but it allows for a more authentic viewing experience and allows potential audiences an insight into the quality of the acting.

Emotional Response: Above all else, my film intends to be uplifting. It follows a developing love story that is, in the eyes of class prejudice, forbidden. However, social themes such as feminism, drug abuse and discrimination feature throughout. While my film aims to entertain, I also intend for it to subtly inform the audience of issues faced in modern society. While class prejudice is not as much of an issue as it was at the time the original film was set, discrimination still occurs everywhere around the world. The working-class characters, who fill the roles of entertainers and kitchen staff, are treated differently to the upper-class guests and the resort's waiters, who are all students from the Yale University employed to interact with guests and "romance the daughters". In modern society, social minorities are often discriminated against and not given equal opportunities, and so to brush on this in my film I'm hoping that the audience will gain awareness. Feminism features in my film too, seen in the character Baby. She refuses to be just a pretty, ignorant creature who needs to rely on a male for support. Instead, she keeps up to date on current affairs and is determined to be her own person. At the beginning of the film, her upper-class entitlement is apparent, though as the film progresses she develops into a strong and independent young woman. As my audience will be mostly female, I want to ensure that Baby remains as aware and informed as the character in the original version of this classic story. Despite the emotional twist that my film takes with the discovery of Penny's drug addiction and the damage caused my Robbie, the overall aim is to bring happiness to the audience. Scenes in which Baby and Johnny are practicing their climatic lift will fill the audience with hope that will manifest into a satisfied joy when they are finally able to execute it at the end of the film.

Promotion Pack Effectiveness: Based on my promotion pack, I believe that my audience will be expecting exactly what it says on the tin, as it were. A modern retelling of a classic film. While I am changing aspects of the original storyline to allow it to fit in with the modern day, I don't want to overcomplicate the plot or make it stray too far from its roots. To portray this, I've opted for a theme of simplistic minimalism throughout my pack. Minimalism is not only a fashionable style - thus fitting in with the fact this this is a modern retelling - but also establishes that I'm keeping my film as straightforward as possible. In the original version, instead of having a plot point based around drug abuse, Penny ends up pregnant by Robbie and Baby provides her with money from her father to pay for an abortion - which was illegal at the time in which the story was set. The abortion goes wrong and Penny ends up gravely ill, so Baby's doctor father steps in to treat her. Abortion is now legal in most places worldwide, while drug abuse is common amongst young adults today, and so by switching this theme I am sending out a message about the dangers of illegal substance use while keeping the topic relevant for my intended audience. I feel as though I have kept this message clear throughout my promotion pack, so I believe that it is effective.

Target Audience Response: My target audience would like to see more of Baby's feminism portrayed in my film. To do this, I would make the male characters around her more patronising and entitled, trying to engage her in conversations about subjects that they believe she has no knowledge on. I would portray them as being more arrogant - taking inspiration from the portrayal of the character Tom Buchanan from Scott Fitzgerald's novel The Great Gatsby. Tom tries to assert his dominance by talking about subjects such as race, and books that he has read, in an attempt to sound intelligent when - in actuality - he has no idea what he's talking about. My target audience would also like to see a likeness to the original version of this film. To do this, I am going to recreate the iconic opening credits scene and keep it in black and white before the film begins. I will also keep in original quotes such as "I carried a watermelon" and "nobody puts Baby in the corner" to maintain an authentic feel. By keeping these classic lines in my modern remake, I am paying homage to the original version and its fanbase.

How to Make it More Effective: To make my film more effective, I will raise the stakes to create more drama. With Penny's life on the line, portrayed more heavily than her situation was in the original, tension will be increased as the characters will have to fight against the clock to get her the treatment she needs. On top of this, drama will be added in the scene where Johnny loses his job as he has no other way to earn his living. He relies upon the money he earns from working at the resort to get by, so when he finds out that he has been fired then the audience will have an emotional reaction. This will make the film more effective as it will ensure that the audience is far more engaged. If they are rooting for the characters and empathising with them then the film is more likely to be received well. When people can relate to and feel for the characters, they're more likely to go for a second viewing or encourage others to go and see it either by word of mouth, posting positive reviews through social media. This means that the film will get good exposure, drawing in a larger audience. With this being the case, my film will make more money and be considered a success.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All About Me

Sample Article - The Hunger Games Franchise

The Appeal of Film Magazine Covers