Film Production - The Proposal

Poster: The inspiration for my poster came from original artwork by "Chungkong Art", an artist from the Netherlands. Inspired by his work, I chose to recolour his original art in varying hues of pink to really tie into the female target audience. Traditionally, pink is a colour associated with both femininity and love, and so by doing this I have also emphasised the film's genre. I like this particular art as it's minimalistic. This style is not only modern - thus becoming eye-catching to an audience of young adults - but it is concise. I have named my two leading actors just below the title of my film so that a bigger audience will be drawn in. Fans of Ballas and Irwin will be more inclined to see the film so as to watch them acting. I have chosen these actors as they have both been a part of the popular American dancing programme called Dancing With The Stars. Ballas is one of the show's professional dancers, and is also an actor. Irwin is best known because of her father, a popular Australian zookeeper and conservationist who died tragically at 44 years old after suffering a sting ray injury to the heart. The tag line for this poster is the same as the one used for the original Dirty Dancing film poster. I wanted to keep some of the film's originality so as to draw in fans of the 1987 classic. Because of this, I also kept the original title for my modern remake.

Encouraging Fandom and Repeat Viewings: My film would have pages on all major social media sites, and a special Snapchat filter would be released in the run-up to the release date to encourage exposure. Social media is a key part of the day-to-day lives of most people nowadays, and so to have adverts and accounts to post updates frequently it is more likely that people will hear about my film and decide to go and see it. Public interaction is crucial in building up a responsive fanbase, and so I would employ a social media team to respond to comments and even have the cast of this film participating in livestreams on set in between takes to generate excitement. If people feel as though they can engage and be heard, they are more likely to respond positively to the film. This increases the chance of repeat viewings. I will also release merchandise to not only draw in the fanbase, but to promote the film. If people have t-shirts or bags - for example - promoting the film then it will get more exposure. I would keep my film in cinemas for four weeks, and then it would come out on DVD six months later - not too long for the appeal to drop, but long enough to keep people talking about it.

Promotion and Target Audience: This film is mostly aimed towards the female audience, in particular young adults due to the modern influences of this film. However, I am also aiming to attract an audience of older women as I have kept some of the film's original content, such as the soundtrack and tagline. I have used a variety of actors to draw in my audience. Woody Harrelson will draw in an older audience, while younger viewers will be drawn in by actor Ansel Elgort - best known for his role as the main protagonist in Baby Driver, and the older brother of the main protagonist in the Divergent series. I have used Bindi Irwin, Mark Ballas and Lindsay Arnold to portray the characters who have heavy dancing roles in the film as all of them have some experience in the field. Arnold is a choreographer and is seen on the popular American dance show Dancing With The Stars, alongside her colleague Ballas - one of the show's professional dancers. Irwin was a winner of the show's 21st season in 2015, and is best known for her work in wildlife conservation - following in the footsteps of her late father Steve Irwin. My audience will most likely be interested in the original film - hence why I kept the same name and stayed as true to the original storyline as possible while making it more relatable for a modern audience. People are also more likely to be interested in dance, so I chose actors who also dance in order to create a more authentic feel. To promote my film, I will use social media, television advertisements and posters put up in busy places such as around public transport links. I would also advertise my film on the sides of buses as they collect thousands of passengers every day, and pass many pedestrians and other road users. This would mean that more people would hear about it, thus generating anticipation. Television adverts would be showed before and after the watershed. My film has a 12 classification so there would be no need to restrict broadcasting hours as it's suitable for an audience of those aged twelve and above. However, I wouldn't play my advertisement on channels exclusively for childrens' television as my remake isn't targeted towards them.

Production and Distribution: The ideal production company for my film is Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc. This is because they are a major Hollywood studio responsible for films with large budgets. Mainstream cinemas show their productions, and they're an American company which is practical as this film is set in the United States. They're a worldwide name responsible for the distribution of many major films, such as the Harry Potter series and It. They also own various other units such as Boomerang, a popular American cartoon channel, DC films and WaterTower Music. I believe that they would be able to make this film a success by giving it maximum exposure to the public. Additionally, their reputation would aid my film in becoming a success. Warner Bros. is known for producing entertaining and enjoyable content, and so this would help to persuade people that my film is worth a viewing.

Why My Film Would Be Funded: In recent years there have been many film remakes created, such as A Star Is Born, Beauty And The Beast and Robin Hood. This shows that they're clearly being received well by the public - or else they wouldn't continue to be made. Similarly, I have cast well-known actors and public figures such as Woody Harrelson, Bindi Irwin and Ansel Elgort to really help the film sell itself. When people know the stars of a production, they will be far more likely to want to watch it. The original Dirty Dancing film was considered a huge success, and it made a massive profit. People still watch it 31 years later, and it is considered to be a classic. My remake covers the serious topic of drugs, which could gain media attention. However, my film doesn't glorify them. Instead, it allows youths to see the dangers and negative effects that they have - subsequently aiming to act as a deterrent. Drug abuse is an issue in modern society, and so I aim to put out a positive campaign against using with the release of my production. This would also create a good name for the distribution company as releasing my film means that they are actively publicising the dangers of drugs.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All About Me

Sample Article - The Hunger Games Franchise

The Appeal of Film Magazine Covers